Below are 10 notes needed for those who travel Myanmar, especially those who want to travel as backpacker in this ancient and poetic golden country.
1. There are four places that most travelers to Myanmar visit : Yangon (the largest economic center in Myanmar), Bagan (former capital), Mandalay (the second largest city in Myanmar) and Shan State (with Inle Lake - world famous heritage).
2. Moving between cities in Myanmar is mainly by bus and airplanes. Large buses (40-50 seats or 30-seat high-class modern cars are only for long distance). Small buses (20 seats) for shorter journeys. Long runs have a ticket of 15,000 to 18,000 kyats, with a short range of 8,000 to 10,000 kyats.
3. A ride from Yangon Airport to the city center by taxi takes about 8,000 to 10,000 kyats (1,000 kyats equivalent to 1 USD), depending on your bargaining power. Taxis are also the main means of transport in Yangon and most do not turn on air conditioning. Buses are quite popular in the city, but only for locals because they are very crowded and not clean.
4. An ideal journey for a dusty trip to Myanmar: Yangon - Bagan - Mandalay - Inle - Yangon. This schedule will follow a closed loop, minimizing travel time.
5. In Bagan or in the town of Nyaung Shwe in Inle Lake, the most pleasant means of transportation are bicycles or electric bicycles (only in Bagan). Bicycle rental price of 2,000-3,000 VND / day, electric bicycle about 5,000 - 6,000 kyats / day. In addition, there are coaches in Bagan, each with about 10,000 kyats per day.
6. Travel on Inle Lake by motor boat. A large boat landing is in the center of Nyaung Shwe town, with a maximum of 5 tourists per boat. The price per day of travel varies from 18,000 to 25,000 kyats depending on the destination.
7. Time to travel between these PLACES by coach: from Yangon to Bagan or Mandalay or Inle (about 10 hours). Shorter routes between tourist destinations in central Myanmar such as Bagan - Mandalay - Inle (5-6 hours).
8. Road condition in Myanmar is generally poor. You have to be prepared for a lot of bad road condition, even the whole road (like Bagan - Mandalay). However, the stations along the road are very clean and convenient.
9. Traveling in Myanmar is fun. You do not need to present a passport or any other personal identification when checking in, to be given a sticker on your shirt. Boarding passes have only destination information and flight numbers (some new airlines have seat number). By the time you board the plane, there will be a marine staff and speakers to pick up passengers. All passengers must walk to the runway.
10. Myanmar has nearly 10 airlines such as Yangon Airways, Air Mandalay, Air Bagan, Yatanarpon Airlines, Air KBZ ... and all use small aircraft ATR72 for all flights.